Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Piper

7 minutes to go...damn that minute of finding a picture went fast. Wasting time...

My desk in my room sits right by the window. While my eyes are too light sensitive to open it all the way up, most of the time I will at least crack the blinds so I can see out. The view is nothing spectacular - it's the back of the apartment complex which is basically an embankment and a fence. It's like 10 yards of view.

I still like to have the blinds cracked, though, because of the furry animals that like to scurry by. Several times I've seen a squirrel burrow into the mulch looking for an acorn - I can't help it. It's damn cute, and I'll watch every time.

Since the weather has gotten warm, there have been loads of birds out here. Birds I recently found out are robins - they have a burnt orange-reddish breast and a cute little yellow beak (the beak was throwing me off; the robins I've seen didn't look like this). Over the course of several consecutive days pounding out my First Amendment outline I've become familiar with the frequenters of my grassy embankment and have selected a favorite robin.

I have named him Piper. There's no reason - I just feel like he looks like a Piper. Most of the robins back here are slender, sort of tall. But this guy is short, squatty, and very round. I love him and he's out here a lot. I'm wonder if he is a she? Does anyone know anything about "pregnant" birds? Below is a picture of a robin that approximates my new friend Piper, except Piper is cuter and isn't tarnished with that greyish color on his breast.


20 seconds left!

4 comments:

Ben said...

cool beans niki, cool beans. I saw another London parrot, two of them actually, swooping into a tree in the graveyard i frequent at lunch. They are green and i have yet to name them.

Why do you think this robin gets left out of the whole xmas thing?? Maybe the Jacksons were talking about this species of Robin when they sung about a "rockin' robbin".

Who knows?

Niki said...

Although I have some environmental concerns about the London parrots, I think it is fantastic that now one need not visit the zoo or the Amazon to see exotic bird species.

Then again, if parrots were frequenting my study window, I'd probably drop out of school to be a bird watcher.

Ben said...

As law school applications are not going well, i have been thinking about this very same profession (some may call it a hobby, but they're just quitters). I would love for more exotic creatures to live in London; i welcome the day when you have to watch out for fish dropping out of the mouths of overflying pelicans...sigh.

Niki said...

Bird watching is totally a profession. How else did they take that picture of that robin?

I'll keep my fingers crossed for your law school applications - but trust me, if you elect to do something different, you aren't missing much.