Friday, August 08, 2008

Olympics: Day 1

My parents rolled into town mid-morning, and now that they are safely tucked into bed, I can finally get my internet on (until I pass out myself; when do parents start stressing out kids instead of the other way around?).

I digress. In case you don't know, I'm sort of an Olympics nerd. I love, love the Olympics. Summer is preferred, but I dig the craziness of the luge in Winter as well.

To get me out of my blog slumpiness, I pledge to post at least one bit of commentary per day re: Olympics. I'm not sure how I'm going to get around tomorrow, what with the parents being here and us spending the day and night at the beach, but I'll try to think of something.

Anyway, some observations from the opening ceremony:

* Why do other countries have on semi-cheesy, semi-cute "themed" attire, but the USA team looks like gay flight attendants? Some say Ralph Lauren nailed it; I say loosen up a little and for the love of USA pride, LOSE THE BERET/HAT/THINGY ON YOUR HEAD.

* Yeesh. Didn't see most of these teams (see above, parenting the parents), but damn. Sound like some bad outfits.

* Roger Federer was carrying the flag for Switzerland. Please, please tell me I didn't miss Rafa!!!

* Nauru! I love Nauru.
* Yao Ming did NOT look happy to be carrying that flag. The little boy beside him, however, was livin' it up! (That little boy was in the earthquake a few months ago. 20 of his 30 classmates died. He freed himself from the rubble, then went back to save a few classmates, saying that he was "class leader" so that was his responsibility.)

3 comments:

Andria said...

I missed it, so I'm counting on you to keep me in the loop. Greg and I were just discussing how much bigger and more magical the Olympics seemed when we were younger.

What a sweet story about the boy in the earthquake!

jenn said...

I also totally love the Olympics, though I don't always catch as much of it as I'd like. I am just always touched by the idea of people all over the world coming together, and the Olympics has such a long history, and of course the events can be super exciting to watch!

I'm with you on the Ralph Lauren outfits. The hats look ridiculous and it makes the team look like they belong on a yacht (as though we really needed to give the world any more reasons to think that we are obnoxious and privileged).

Ruby said...

I agree with you. Those hats were UGH. At that little boy was so cute!

I heart the Olympics too! David and I were both watching, discussing, and having an all around good time.