Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Tomato Sandwich. Reinvented.

A southern staple food, at least in my house, is the tomato sandwich. Two pieces of bread, one giant slice of tomato, a little salt and pepper, and mayonnaise, and you've got lunch perfection. Except one thing. I have always, always hated mayonnaise. To this day my father will ask me whether I want mayonnaise, and to this day my reply is, "Have I ever wanted mayonnaise?"

I do acknowledge there needs to be a little bit of lubrication on the tomato sandwich, so for the most part I add mustard, the best condiment in the universe. The only issue some people have with mustard is that it adds an entirely new flavor, a new dimension to the simple flavors of the more traditional tomato sandwich. I agree, even though in my book, mustard can never do wrong.

But let me get to the point. Ladies and gentlemen, over the past two days I have perfected the mayonnaise-less tomato sandwich and enjoyed a perfect at-home lunch. Here you go:

1. I start by toasting some bread, whatever kind you love.

2. Then I spread some hummus on both sides. I like a lot of hummus. Maybe you like a little or just a medium amount. Whatever floats your boat.

3. Put the tomato slice(s) onto the hummus.

4. Drizzle some olive oil on the tomato.

5. Sprinkle some salt and pepper.

Voila! Bon Appetit!

(If this were a real food blog I'd show you a picture of the delicious sandwich. But it's not. So use your imagination.)

1 comment:

Megs said...

I agree, Nik. The tomato sandwich is a simple, classic Southern item. Man how I love 'em. (Maybe a little bit of cheese, too.) One day I might try the hummus suggestion. Might. It's just that I looooooove me some Duke's and Blue Plate mayo! :)