Thursday, February 23, 2006

And so it begins.

The day many of us have all been dreading since Roberts and (Sc)Alito were approved to the Supreme Court may soon be upon us. Thank you South Dakota.

And I'd just like to say something very quickly, before I'm late to class, about this whole pro-life/pro-choice distinction. People who support legal abortions are not in favor of tons of abortions - I think we all can agree fewer abortions are better. While I do understand the concern from the "pro-life" side that abortion is baby murder, I can't help but feel like if it was illegal we'd all be worse off. Desperate women will sell themselves to get money to go somewhere it is legal, they will use shady doctors and facilities in an underground market, and worst of all, they may take matters into their own hands. To me the risk is not worth it.

There are so many other issues here - the Constitution, defining the moment of life, religion - I can't even begin to go into, and I don't even know that I can figure out my position even if I did. For me the danger of illegal abortion is enough. A ruling which allows states to prohibit abortions completely won't make abortion go away, but it will make it a helluva lot scarier.

No comments: