Thursday, July 13, 2006

Hanky Panky: probably TMI, but you might thank me for it.

This post is really targeted for the ladies, but gentlemen, if you care to wince through the intimate discussion, you might pick up a tip on a gift both you and your woman will appreciate: Hanky Panky underwear

Recently I was discussing with friend A* my distaste for thong underwear and how it pained me to see women work out in the gym wearing those things. In my opinion, it was far better to have VPL (visible panty line) during the workout than to protect the integrity of the lines of clothing - after all, I'm at the gym to sweat and burn calories, nothing more.

Friend A shared my frustrations, but then suggested I give a certain brand of panty a try because it is "the most comfortable thong in the world." She told me it was slightly expensive, around $15, but well worth it. According to her, you couldn't even tell it was there. Unfortunately, they are sold mainly in higher end department stores that are not in Charlottesville. Luckily though, the Hanky Panky website has links to various online merchants and if you google them, you'll get loads of hits.

Well, I was definitely skeptical. For one thing, I'd seen these panties before at Friend B's house who had essentially told me the same thing as Friend A. However, they were lacy and sexy and pretty and I think we all know those underwear almost never survive daily wear and tear. For years now I'd been in the camp with Ashley Judd, who I saw on Oprah opining that she never wore thongs because she was convinced it was unhygenic.

Something on this particular day, though, made me give it a second thought. Normally I'm wearing jeans or loose skirts - clothes that don't really bring VPL into question. Yet going to work in an office every day this summer has meant wearing pants of thinner material and more tailored than everyday denim. In short, the time had come for me to conceal the VPL - and I was ill prepared. So, I decided to take the plunge.

I ordered two pair online: the ivory lowrise and the sexier black "g-string" (and yes, I did feel a little like a stripper ordering it). I eagerly awaited their arrival so I could wear my new white pants to work and put these panties to the test!

Finally, they arrived and they barely weighed an ounce in that envelope. I opened up the tissue paper inside and took out my new pretty, yet supposedly comfortable, thongs. They were not as soft as I'd hoped, but after a quick wash in some Woolite, they became pleasant to touch.

The next day I was as excited as I've ever been to put on a pair of underwear. I decided to start with the Low-Rise ones. After an entire day of wearing them, I'm hear to say that I should've listened to Friend A and Friend B a helluva lot sooner. While these thongs are not as comfortable as normal undies, they are most definitely the best ones I've ever put on. The only problem I had with them is that unlike regular panties, there were moments throughout the day that I was consciously aware of them, yet unlike other thongs, those moments were brief and far less frequent. AND unlike other pretty, lacy undergarments, these didn't itch or scratch once! I liked them so much, that I even wore them during yoga because my yoga pants definitely sport the VPL from time to time.

So there you have it. It's not the complete answer to the no pantyline problem, but it's definitely a start. Furthermore, it was kind of exciting to know throughout the day that there was something a little sexy underneath, something no one else knew about. I can't wait to get more colors... (Note: Have not yet worn the G-string, strippery named ones, so this endorsement only goes for the low-rise.)

Hanky Panky panties - both men and women will love them! (You guys should thank me for not getting you fired - I'm resisting the urge to post pictures here!)

*I'm not naming names just in case said friend(s) don't want to disclose to the interweb what kind of underwear they have on.

UPDATE: Wore the Hanky Panky G-strings today. Not as good as the Hanky Panky low-rise, but slightly better than a garden-variety thong. Probably won't buy another pair like them, but happy to have them as part of my repertoire.



10 comments:

Andria said...

What an interesting post. Thanks for the info. I believe I am in the Ashley Judd camp as well, but will take what you have said into consideration. Especially with all the upcoming weddings I have and some dresses are tighter and thinner and will require special undies. However, I would like to point out something on the web site -- the so-called "sportswear" what they heck is so "sport" about those lacy tops?! Some are even see-through. I'm sorry, but if someone attempted to come to the gym in one of those numbers I would totally laugh and tell them the Victoria Secret photo shoot wasn't scheduled at the gym. Ok, so maybe I wouldn't actually tell them, but I'd be thinking it!

Ruby said...

Nik! I agree with Andria that this is a great post!

Yesterday when I posted about products I love I could have also included my fave panties but chose not too because my granddaddy reads my blog! He doesn't read yours, though and I am here to announce that Old Navy has some pretty great thongs too!

I have tried both the nylon and cotton and the nylon is much better. The website doesn't have the exact ones I do but I'm sure they are the same... $6 a pair! I've hear that once you go thong, you never go back and I think I have to agree!

(One very important thing to consider when talking thongs is SIZE. You absolutely cannot try to fool yourself into a smaller size than your booty needs!)

Niki said...

Re: size - that's the crazy thing about these Hanky Pankys - they are "one size." (4-12) seriously. they are that stretchy. i was skeptical, but once i got them it became clear. however, i think they do have a bigger size for 14+ if necessary.

$6 is more my budget - i'm going to have to check them out!

Anonymous said...

Ahem. Re size. Since we're going the TMI route...I have made the too-small-thong mistake JUST ONCE in my life. That's all it took.

I might have to try these out - VPL is a constant battle. I also recommend the Gillian O'Malley seamless panties from Target. Very breathable, which a lot of the nylon seamless panties are not.

And, as someone who works in advertising, I can tell you that someone who has my job at Hanky Panky would die for this kind of testimonial. It's like marketing gold.

Niki said...

Shoot, Ashley, if you ever DO know anyone at Hanky Panky that wants to pay me for my testimonial, I'll tell the entire damn world what kind of undies I've got on! Hell, I might even show 'em, too. ; )

I'm going to try those Target kind, too. After I've done those and Old Navy, I'll try to remember to report back here as well.

Anonymous said...

TMI?

Niki said...

Gertrude, TMI = too much information.

Anonymous said...

matt and/or ben - you don't need to feel scared of posting on this under your real names.

fyi.

Anonymous said...

Am I either friend A or friend B? I have been wearing HP for almost 5 years now. The low-rise lace ones are my favorite. Unlike other thongs I've worn, the wide lace band doesn't cut into your hips.

I wear them every day...to the gym, to work, out at night...I think I own about 20 pairs now (which is frightening, since that means I have spent $300 on underwear). But they really are worth it.

By the way, nik and girls: despite what the directions say about having to hand wash these babies, you can throw them in the washer on delicate, and dry them in the dryer on low. I swear to you, they will not fall apart.

Wow, this IS a little more info than I would normally share...but they really are THAT great!

Ben said...

Jeff, i didn't feel scared, i just wanted to try it on for a while.

I decided all the dirty limericks made it rather too itchy, i'll stick with ben/beldaz, thank you very much.