Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Oscar Nominee Rant '07

1) WOW. SURPRISE. Can you guys believe it?? Judi Dench is nominated for an Academy Award! Gee wiz, she really deserves it. I think she has only been nominated 49 other times! So, uh, yeah, I reiterate my displeasure and annoyance from last year when she was nominated, AGAIN. Seriously, who is she blowing on the Academy?

2) Meryl Streep is also nominated. I have two problems with this: a) Judi Dench-esque perpetual nominations; b) she's nominated for her role in The Devil Wears Prada. Despite the fact that I think this movie is predictable, unoriginal, and totally unfunny, I will admit that she was the only breath of life in the film. However, it was not an Oscar-caliber performance by any stretch of the imagination (thus the Judi Dench phenomenon). Moreover, and this is really my sticking point, SHE WAS NOT AN ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE. Anne Hathaway was the leading character, the leading role. Streep was the villain, the antagonist, but more in spirit than actual screentime and appearance. Thus, I reiterate my frustrations concerning the whole division of leading actor/supporting actor from last year - if Jake is supporting in Brokeback, then by all means, Meryl Streep is supporting in Prada.

Yes, this is essentially the same post as last year, marginally different characters at issue. Clearly I have issues with the Academy (and no life). I am delighted, though, that they nominated Little Miss Sunshine over Dreamgirls. I have not seen the latter film, but I have no doubt Sunshine is far, far, far superior because that film is glorious and Beyonce sucks.

6 comments:

Niki said...

Too lazy to edit, so I'll comment on my own blog, first. Cool.

Just noticed Anne Hathaway was in both movies with the leading actor controversy...wonder if she's got anything to do with this?

Also, please feel free to vent your own Oscar nominee frustrations, celebrations, or indifferences.

Parm said...

yeah i got a few i've already mentioned to you in person. i'm going on record now:

1) dicaprio should have been nominated for the departed, not blood diamond and that wacked out accent.

2) alec baldwin should have been nominated for the departed over mark wahlberg. "Patriot act, PATRIOT ACT. I love it!!"

3) letters from iwo jima should have been in the "foreign language" category since, you know, it's in a foreign language.

4) i have no interest in seeing dreamgirls whatsoever

Anonymous said...

I loved "Little Miss Sunshine," but I also really want to see "Dreamgirls." Sue me.

Niki said...

i think i wouldn't have minded the idea of dreamgirls so much except for A) the Beyonce factor and B) musicals in general not my cup of tea - ever since Chicago I kind of resent their Oscar contentions. This is sort of poetic justice for that, for me.

as for alec baldwin, i can't get over allegations that he emotionally and physically abused kim basinger. sure, i don't know whether it's definitely true, but i get the feeling it is. also, it's not related to his acting ability, and i get that, but it just bugs me and i don't want him to win awards.

ashley said...

I have to agree with the whole Prada thing. I mean, I saw the movie and it was entertaining because, hello, SHOES! But it wasn't Streep's most nuanced performance - I mean, how complicated is being a mean boss?

Plus, as a writer, I kind of want to see the nominations go to well-written scripts. Even though I love total fluff movies, by this standard, Colin Firth should've been nominated for What a Girl Wants. It's just clear that this is more of the Academy's love affair with Streep than Streep's actual performance.

Oh, and if Judi Dench was in a Tampax commercial, I'm pretty sure she'd get a nomination.

Parm said...

ok, i have to say this. i'm totally in agreement with the majority about the redundancy of nominating judi dench.

HOWEVER, i just saw notes on a scandal and, well, goddamn...that Dame can act.