Sunday, April 25, 2010

Mmmm. Brownies.

I just made these, and oh my god, right out of the oven. . .I know I haven't had sex in awhile but still, orgasmic doesn't seem like a big stretch. My first attempt at vegan baking is awe. some.

Ingredients
  • 2 c unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 2 c white sugar
  • 3/4 c unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/4 c vegetable oil (I used Smart Balance Omega)
  • 3/4 c applesauce
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 bag Ghiradelli semi-sweet chocolate chips (or a whole bag. whatever. Ghiradelli is vegan, Nestle is not.)

Directions

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Pour in water, vegetable oil, applesauce and vanilla; mix until well blended. 
  3. Stir in chocolate chips. Spread evenly in a 9x13 inch baking pan.
  4. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until the top is no longer shiny. Let cool for at least 10 minutes before cutting into squares. (NOTE: I had to cook mine probably 35-40 mins for the center to be done.)
I adapted this recipe from this one at all recipes. Taking it into work tomorrow for a belated Administrative Professionals' Day thank you gift. That will be the true test, but so far, so delicious. Make these. NOW.

1 comment:

jenn said...

Ooooh. . . I can't wait to try these! I made a batch of vegan brownies one time, but they were only so-so, and so many other vegan brownie recipes that I've seen call for all kinds of whack ingredients, so I'm really psyched about this recipe!