Saturday, April 24, 2010

Quick, Delicious Brunch

This morning I woke up early (7am = early for me), went to 50 minutes of spinning followed by 75 minutes of yoga. After that I had to run by the store to pick up a few things, then home to shower off the workouts. By the time I was clean and ready to cook, it was about 11:15, and I was starving.

For the past few weeks I've been semi-vegan. Very little dairy (except as may appear in chocolates or other delicious treats), no meat (obviously), and no eggs (just for the hell of it). Because I like to bake, and eat baked goods, and I haven't mastered any vegan recipes, I bought eggs yesterday because I volunteered to make cookies for an SPCA fundraiser. Since I had the eggs, I was seriously craving them for breakfast.

I dug around in my fridge and pantry to find some new and some almost-expired ingredients to create an off-the-cuff but fucking fantastic brunch. It's a lot of food, but I was a hungry girl, and it was delish. To commemorate my momentary culinary genius, I'm posting the very simple recipes in case anyone is ever starving, and wants a relatively nutritious, pretty quick, and absolutely yummy and filling brunch.

Sauteed Potatoes
I had a red potato lying around that needed to be used before it went bad. I chopped it up and made my own version of "home fries."

1. Heat small amount of oil in pan.

2. Throw in chopped potato. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, ground cumin. (Cumin is my current favorite spice. I love it, put it on almost everything.)

3. Sautee/pan fry until delicious. (I cut my potatoes almost bite sized so they cook faster.)

I cooked these until they were almost done, then pushed them aside to make the next part of my brunch. I don't like cleaning up, so I use as few dishes as possible.

Spinach & Mozzarella Eggs
Mix together 1 egg + 2 egg whites (= 3 total eggs used), a little salt & pepper in a bowl. This is my preferred method of eating eggs. To me, it maximizes protein, taste and portion size without as much cholesterol.

1. Throw some baby spinach (I use pre-bagged) on the hot oil. Sautee until almost done.

2. Pour the egg mixture on top of the spinach. Mix it all up. (If you're using the same pan as the potatoes, make sure you tilt the pan a little when you put the egg in or it will all get scrambled together. All scrambled together isn't necessarily a bad thing, in fact it's probably delicious, but it wasn't what I was going for this morning.)

3. Scramble eggs & spinach until done.

4. Throw some shredded mozzarella on top of egg & spinach, mix it up if you want. Remove from heat when cheese melts. (*I used mozzarella because it was almost expired, bought before I tried to cut cheese out of my diet. Cheddar or monterey jack or whatever kind of cheese you love is also probably perfect.)

If you've timed it right, everything should be done at once.

Serve with 2 pieces of toast. I am in love with Genesis bread. I topped one of my toast pieces with Marmite, because I like to pretend I'm British. Also, it tastes awesome. :)

Serve with whatever your favorite breakfast beverage. This morning I drank water. Juice, tea, mimosa, and bloody mary also highly recommended.

Bon Appetit!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds delicious! I just had to note though that upon reading your post, I read this entirely the wrong way: off-the-cuff but fucking fantastic brunch.

Can't stop laughing.