Saturday, April 03, 2010

SXSW: Tacos, Beer, & Cupcakes. Oh, is there music here, too?

It's been a couple weeks since I got back from SXSW. Epic - the only word to even come close to describing it. Since I suck and forgot to pack a travel journal, my tweets from the trip will have to do. Instead of trying to write it all out narrative-like, I present to you the timeline of my tweets below. They don't do the trip justice, but it's all I've got to commemorate it. (Additional commentary follows)

No one cares, but I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve today. My insides are jumping up & down. Leave for SXSW tomorrow. I heart my life! 11:13 AM Mar 16th via web

Holy shit. This SXSW stuff is overwhelming. Will never, ever see it all. Must have strategy meeting tonight.  

I give up. Scheduling SXSW is impossible. Just going to let it happen. Now I'm going to drink w/friends before leaving. Then pack. Obvs. :) 9:05 PM Mar 16th via web (Typical Niki form: I stayed up til like 1-1:30am, didn't pack until the next morning. I think I have mad-rush packing down to an artform. About 30 mins flat and I'm good to go.)
 

St. Pat's day, 70s and gorgeous, on my way to Austin and Federer lost last night. I love my life!

Fuck yes. Irish pub in layover airport playing rafa! (Seriously. I was beside myself with glee. Found a seat a table right near the match. Crazy dude playing a keyboard? guitar? something. Was a bustling little Irish pub. Oh, and an $8 Harp. WTF? It wasn't even green. I didn't care. It was a perfect moment. Another perfect moment: most beautiful, vibrant sunset from the airplane. It was almost a perfect color spectrum. Glorious.)

Isner looks like he's wearing Umbros circa 1991.


Goddamn. Sensory mother fuckin overload. Austin is like Athens on steroids right now. (Seriously. It was CRAY-Z. Hipsters everywhere. Bars all over the place. St. Patrick's Day made SXSW blow the fuck up. Was awesome, awesome people watching like I haven't seen since last Halloween at West Palm Beach's Moonfest.)


I heart breakfast tacos! Do not heart saddle creek and merge records doing showcases at same time at diff venues. Austin rocks.


Mini golf while drinking. Austin just keeps getting better. (For real. More places should have mini-golf where you can bring your own beer. So. Much. Fun. I got sunburned, but whatevs. Also, my terrible streak at mini-golf continues. I suck. Hard.)

Sugar Mama's cupcakes in Austin, TX. Highly recommend. My butt will be Texas-sized by the time I leave here.


Heading out sans cell phone bc don't want to lug purse. Slightly scary. Sad. Good times ahead though.


FYI: it is entirely possible to live off tacos, beer, and cupcakes. Life. Is. Good.

Free drinks at free concert. Goodbye sobriety, hello bloody mary!
(Note the time: 1:55PM, barely after the morning. I think I'd already had one at this point. Turns out only my first bloody mary was free, but 16oz Lone Stars were free. We were at the Birmingham show to see Taylor Hollingsworth, one of the Mystic Valley Band that plays with Conor. Taylor is from Birmingham, Alabama. He tried to eat lunch with me outside on the patio, but his brother tried to sit in my friend's seat while my friend was on beer run. Tried to get them a different chair, but they switched tables. :(  Later on introduced myself to Taylor and got a picture which is now my phone wallpaper. Such a sweetie. Also played a good set!)

Lol. Drunk at three o'clock. Did i mention i love my life?

I love boys.

(Sometime in between the previous tweet and the next tweet I began drunk dialing almost everyone I know. At least, that's what I found out later on, the next morning, and over the next few days as people started telling me about our conversations. Yeah. NO recollection. ZERO.)

Fuck this vegetarian shit. That dog's bbq looked awesome! Sxsw is so. Much. Fun!

Omg. Bbq is delicious. (Yeah. Ya'll read that right. I ate some fucking BBQ. In my defense, a) Had been drinking since 1:30ish, b) Had not eaten, c) Could not find anything else to eat, d) Was super drunk, e) It's mother-fuckin' Texas. I had to experience the local "culture," right? Will not tell you how many times I made Shawn go buy us a sandwich to split, but uh, yeah, it was more than one. Per Tempe, I apparently called her after this and said it was "life-changing" BBQ.)

Just found out rafa and marc in dubs finals and rada in semis today. Can't watch or otherwise follow. Vamos!

I am the anti- hipster. Pink shirt, girlie t, blonde hair.


40 Watt free party rocks.Athens music is the best. Listen to Futurebirds! (Futurebirds is a really good band. Check them out. Band I saw before them was also really good. No recollection of their names, but the bloody mary I had while watching them also stellar.)

Venice is Sinking. Best band so far. Check them out!


Just saw bathroom graffiti that said 'miri is hotter than smoking.' @nadalnews (Was at The Broken Spoke. They have filmed part of Friday Night Lights the TV show there. Met a cowboy. Borrowed his hat for a photo. Another awesome day. Oh, and Miri is the name used by the creator of Nadal News, so that's why I was tweeting her. On another note, she lives in Austin, ergo, could've been about her :)

Thank goddess i don't live in texas. The mexican food is killing me. Must've gained ten pounds in 3 days.

(Saw She & Him this night. Was fucking cold. Didn't care. M. Ward & Zooey Deschanel were awesome, awesome. God, I love them. Buy their cd. Now. You'll thank me later.)

I'm a little too excited about the o.g. Whole foods.

At something called chicken shit bingo. Um...i love my life?

Apparently it can take this chicken up to 1hr 45mins to poop on a number and declare a winner. I'm gonna need another beer.
(Umm. . .had WAAAY more than just another beer. We did not win despite having #38 and also the line. Still tons of fun.)


Best night ever. Met a guy who could flip me while dancing. We might get married. Heh.
(If you haven't been flipped while swing dancing, you haven't lived. That's all I'll say about that. Oh, and he really did propose to me. :)

Migas tacos are my new fave food. Great ending to a great SXSW. Thanks, Austin. Definitely coming back!

Hartsfield, I got nothin but love for you but would it be too much to ask for some people movers if you have to run from north to south ...
(Dude. I had like 30mins to get from one end of the terminal to the exact opposite end. . .lugging my giant backpack. Was not fun, but I made it. Thanks plane being delayed!)

@nadalnews Just got your tweets from when I was in TX. Have ghetto phone. Was totally going to do Hey Cupcake compare but not enough time!



Brought home wicked sinus infection/cold from SXSW. Just got to work. Suffice it to say I'd rather be in Austin.

@julesdc It's already on my calendar next yr. Mark yours. We'll make it a date!
(Definitely going next year. SXSW is the best. The. Best.)


@nadalnews And yes, it was totally Peter Pan. That place alone is enough to make me want to move to Austin! Good times. Am envious of you!
(Peter Pan = mini golf place w/scary cartoon character statutes and BYOB policy. Oh, and I'm totally moving to Austin. In. Love.)

@julesdc Chose Merge, but long-ass line + needed "official" badge. Went to Saddle Creek, also needed badge. Ended up at random free fun show


@nadalnews So true-grass is always greener. My Peter Pan experience was followed by tacos & cupcake-best beginning to SXSW ever!

1 comment:

Megan said...

Holy crap, this post (and your tweets) are so funny! Austin is definitely your kind of town. Plus, it's in Texas, baby!

(I told you that you haven't had Mexican food until you've had it here! SO GOOD.)