Thursday, October 06, 2005

where did maverick go?

i thought he and i would be together forever. maverick was my first true love. even when other girls my age were moving from kirk cameron to new kids to brad pitt to colin firth i stayed loyal. sure, i thought those other guys were cute, but nothing compared to my tom. it wasn't always easy, but he was tops on my list 4-ever.
i defended tom for eyes wide shut
i stood up for him amidst the never-ending rumors that he was gay
i wrote rosie o'donnell a letter informing her that she was NOT, in fact, tom's biggest fan
i even saw, and liked, magnolia, while forgiving him for M:I 2 (i mean, there were at least some cool action shots)
and even as i began to realize his range was limited, i rooted for him, wanted him to pull out the unexpected performance
after the nicole kidman break-up, i gave him one more chance. it took some time, but gradually we made up. i thought everything was going swell, sure i was in the minority in my love for him, but being a rebel isn't new to me, and i was hoping war of the worlds was going to be terrific.
THEN the katie holmes nonsense started. i was a complete disbeliever. this was a publicity stunt, a game for the paparazzi - clever tom, nice one. then it kept going...still i had my doubts. well, now it seems she is going to be his babymama and i can no longer sustain the illusion. maverick is dead. he has been replaced by a maniac. while for the rest of the world this is great water cooler conversation or a blip on the never-ending celebrity media machine, for me, this is the end of what used to be a beautiful thing. tom has taken my loyalty, stomped on it, swirled it around in the mud, and shoved up his butt. well, in exchange, i have removed him from my top 5 list (really, he's nowhere on the list at all) and have joined the majority in jeering his every move. sometimes, yes, it hurts, but one must be honest with herself - it will never be the same.

now, for the good news, i have some new contenders for top man in my life:
jake gyllenhaal (the front runner)
hugh grant
the hot guy from prison break
ewan mcgregor
kevin spederline (heh. i can't even type this without cracking up)

i think for now, though, i'll just play the field a bit. no need to jump right into another commitment. if anyone has any ideas for anyone else i need to try out, please let me know.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I, too, am mourning the loss of Maverick. Cruise seemed to rise above the muck and the gossip that has always been Hollywood's lifeblood. Even when he and Nicole Kidman split up, it seemed that that both handled themselves in a classy and mature manner.

And then he called Matt Lauer "glib" for defending the use of medication to treat mental health problems. Then he jumped on a sofa on Oprah. And my respect for him vanished.

BUT - to cheer us all up, I do have an addition to nik's new list:

Rodrigo Santoro, Laura Linney's love interest in "Love, Actually."

Yowza.

Apparently, he was also in "Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle," which, for obvious reasons, I did not see.

Enjoy the eye candy:

http://www.hotflick.net/pictures/Rodrigo_Santoro_013.html

Anonymous said...

It's sad to see your teenage crush pass on. I mean, think about how I feel. Dean Cain is now the host of Ripley's Believe It or Not. He might as well have had "HAS BEEN" tattooed on his forehead. And what about Adam Duritz? He's gained 175 pounds...it's like he ate Mr. Jones for breakfast. I've lost that loving feel. Now it's gone. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

by the way, it's not that i keep putting harp on my name because i think you don't know who i am, but my computer automatically fills in the field without my consent. stupid machine.

Niki said...

wow tempe, i didn't know that guy from love actually had a name other than "niki's future loveslave." he's perfect - dark skin, sexy accent. ahh..which reminds me. hot guy from unfaithful. olivier martinez?

ashley...who? it had never occurred to me before now that adam duritz might be a cannibal. v. interesting hypothesis. and about dean cain, isn't he on that sitcom with kelly ripa? (at least i think she made reference to such on live with regis and kelly. not that i watch that. i mean, sometimes while i eat my cereal, but this particular time it was because it was on at the gym.)

Anonymous said...

uh...i have a suggestion for your list :(

Anonymous said...

Speaking of hot men, is it bad that I have a crush on Jeff Francoeur? I mean, he can't even drink legally, but he's damn cute, in that all-American, frat boy kinda way...which, let's face it, is my weakness:

http://www.bravesbeat.com/bios/francoeur.jpg

Anonymous said...

Jeff, at least you can feel validated that Niki appears to have escaped from the force before Tom converted her to scientology too...