Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Dear Professors,

If you elect to skip 50 pages of the syllabus and decide not to cover it in class, it would be helpful if you would at least tell us whether we should be responsible for it on the exam. I realize that you do not cover every notes case in the reading and that ordinarily we should know that stuff for the test. However, if you are omitting entire sections of the syllabus from class discussion because you do not understand the virtues of pacing and you spent an inordinate amount of time discussing one or two issues, I don't think the burden should lay on us to use divination to determine whether we need to know it on the exam. Sure, less studious classmates probably will skip it, and perhaps they will be fine. There are, however, a significant number of neurotic perfectionists in law school, and you know, yours isn't the only exam we have to study for. Just giving a head's up about whether it's a waste of time to review those 50 pages and discern relevant principles isn't really all that much to ask.

Thank you.

Can you tell I'm in a good mood today?

5 comments:

Ruby said...

I would like to that Harry Potter for teaching me the word divination. I would have read your post and come up blank. Further evidence that HP kicks ass.

Niki said...

I was totally referencing HP when I wrote it! Thinking about the crazy divination professor and how the subject is pretty much useless and wouldn't help me anyway. If it's a real word, I wouldn't have known it before HP either.

Anonymous said...

Ah! Good to know. I understand why I was clueless. It's still on my TO DO list to read, Nik, I promise. . .

Anonymous said...

ANDI!! OMG! You must read Harry Potter as soon as humanly possible. I know that you're like a working wife and mother, but seriously, there have to be priorities set.

Signed,
More-Than-Slightly HP Obsessed

Anonymous said...

Also, Nik, I don't know if this makes you feel better, but Hilary in my office is finishing her MBA this week. She had to write a bazillion page paper based on a situation analysis she was given for a company. Tonight she has to go to class from 5-7 to get further information about the company, revise her paper accordingly and then submit it by midnight tonight. She's dying right now.