Sunday, May 25, 2008

Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

Q: What Kool-Aid flavor would you be and why? (Megan) (Please feel free to answer this, and all other Reader's Choice Questions, in the comments below!)

A: Pink Swimmingo

Wow. I have to admit, I could only think of two Kool Aid flavors - grape and pink lemonade - so I had to resort to Google to help me out on this one.

There are some very strange flavors listed here: http://members.tripod.com/~koolaidgirl/flavors.html - and I have to question how different they all taste. I mean, does 100mg of Red #5 + 50 mg of Yellow #9 actually taste that much different from 150mg of Red #5 + 50 mg of Yellow #9?? At any rate, I'll leave it to the advertisers to concern themselves with how best to lure in the 4 year old demographic.



My first instinct was Pink Lemonade, but then I decided it was a bit too country club, too khakis and polo shirts for me. I then considered Sharkleberry Fin, Surfin' Berry Punch, and Slammin' Strawberry Kiwi. But those all seem a bit too...I dunno...cartoon-y. I will admit this is a little hypocritical in light of my choice, Pink Swimmingo, but there is something slightly more funky and tropical and less Sponge Bob about Pink Swimmingo, so shut up.

I have absolutely no idea what Pink Swimmingo tastes like, nor do I really care. The important thing is that it makes me think of pink flamingos, which I love. Also, I very much enjoy swimming and the thought of chilling out on the beach with a glass of Pink Swimmingo spiked with vodka sounds like a very nice day indeed.

**Aside: This post brings to mind a curious question. Does your Kool-Aid flavor have to be a flavor you yourself would enjoy? Suppose Pink Swimmingo has some watermelon tinges to it. I love watermelon, but hate watermelon flavor. Can I still be Pink Swimmingo? I'm not sure. I don't think I can. But maybe. Because really, does anyone ever really eat themselves? (I know, a little dirty. That's why you love me.) **

5 comments:

Red said...

Ok--I haven't decided what my kool-aid flavor would be. But in my google search as well, I saw there was a "rootbeer" flavored kool-aid. Nasty. Seriously-nasty.

Actually right in this instance, I have decided that I'd be rootbeer b/c it's foul sounding (I'm vulgar), no one really likes it but I'm betting those that do -love it to death (my friends), and it has "beer" in the title (I have beer in me on most weekends). Yep, I'm rootbeer.

Red said...

Actually--it may be a tie. I may be "cherry cracker." Enough said.

Ruby said...

Oooh, I'm so excited that you answered my question!

I have no idea what flavor I would be... I need to go check out your list. BUT, right off hand I can only think of one flavor beyond your standard: The Great Bluedini. I don't remember the taste but I do know that it came out of the package yellow and when you added water it turned blue. Maybe that's all I need to know!

ashley said...

I don't know what flavor I'd be, but I think you've got to like the taste of your own flavor. Because if you don't want to eat it, there's a good chance that no one else will eat it either. (And, yes, that's why I love you!)

Anonymous said...

Incrediberry...it might work well with vodka too. And for an unsolicited and only slightly related drinking tip, Van Gogh makes an acai-blueberry vodka that tastes like drinking kool-aid with a kick. I highly recommend it.