Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Olympics: Day 5-1

Men's Gymnastics Team Finals - Technically, this happened yesterday, but the finals lasted until 1am, and this birthday girl needed to get to bed asap due to sugar shock from too much gastrological celebrations. So here I am, recapping some thoughts from last night.

Is anyone else disappointed with the Bronze? I know it's not very PC or patriotic or team-spirited of me, but I can't help but feel Team USA should have won the Silver. I also can't help but point the finger at a certain gymnast who shall remain nameless who scored a twelve something on pommel horse as the reason we had to settle for the Bronze.

I know, I know, I know - all the men were Olympic virgins and the Hamm twins were a huge loss, and it's great we even got a medal. But dude, we were solid in the Silver category until that guy got a 12! Everyone else pulled their weight, then he had to eff it up. I know it's cruel of me to be like that, but hey - the other two pommel horse participants were alternates, and he had an original spot. He should've knocked it out.

Speaking of the alternates, Artemev's pommel horse was gorgeous, absolutely beautiful gymnastics. His legs were like ribbons in the air. (Shut up, I loved it.) He's definitely one of my favorite athletes of the Olympics thus far.

Also in the realm of great performances, Justin Spring's high bar was ridiculous. I thought he was going to fly off that thing! He seems like a character; I'm gonna keep my eye on him.

Women's Synchronized Diving - I'll be honest. I totally forgot this was an event. Those Chinese girls - um, are they cloned? Seriously.

Exact.

Same.

Person.

The commentators keep talking about the "lines" of the Chinese, but hello - they don't have any hips, thighs, or boobs! They are nothing but straight lines! All the other girls, same age even, look like burgeoning women, not 11 year old boys.

Women's Gymnastics Team Finals - Coming up tonight! Can't wait! Look for more commentary as the night progresses.

1 comment:

jenn said...

I was actually really happy with the bronze. I was afraid they were out of medal contention altogether, so I was just thrilled when they walked away with any medal at all, especially since it was so unexpected.