Sunday, May 29, 2011

Tales from the Crypt

Recently I had a multi-day jury trial. My client, to put it nicely, was not a defense attorney's dream. Long record, weird slightly scary tattoo, spastic hair, crazy eyes. We were not exactly besties.

After trial was over, I learned the following story: The district attorney was displaying photos on a giant screen, so I had positioned myself on the other side of the courtroom to see them. Meanwhile, back at the defense table, client started squirming around in his seat. . .every time they showed a picture he didn't like.

My boss, sitting right behind defense table, noticed client's fidgeting and leaned up to him.

"Settle down. You need to act like you are expecting everything that comes out of their mouths. Nothing is a surprise to you." Boss advised.

Client leaned down, nodded, and assured my boss, "This is my third jury trial."

No comments: