Sunday, October 03, 2010

Yoga Pose of the Week: Balasana/Child's Pose

Balasana/Child's Pose

Today has been rainy and relaxing. When I was walking the dog, I started thinking about this week's yoga pose. I literally almost did "naptime pose" because it's just that kind of Sunday. In that spirit, I give you child's pose - best known as a resting pose in both yoga and Pilates. Literally, there are days I come home from work and my body is craving child's pose. I think I cannot possibly work out or walk the dog or make dinner, but after doing balasana for a few minutes, I'm rejuvenated. Several instructors I've had also start off class in this pose because it helps prepare the mind and body for the practice to come.

This is how I go into child's pose, and there's a cheesy video at the end to show you another variation (complete with shirtless man. You're welcome!).

1) Get in table top position - on your hands and knees, flat back.

2) Spread your knees wide and let your toes touch.

3) Press your hands into the mat as you push your butt and hips onto your heels. If you aren't that flexible, try putting a block or blanket on your thighs and calves. Rest your head on the ground.

4) Either bring your hands palm facing upward by your hips or remain in extended child's pose with your palms pressing into the mat, arms extended. If taking the latter variation, remember not to let your shoulders crunch into your ears but remain down your back.



According to Yoga Journal, this pose should NOT be practiced by pregnant women. Also, be careful of knee injuries; if it hurts your knees don't do it. For what it's worth, I have issues with my knees, but I've found this pose actually stretches them out and makes them feel better. But those are my issues, my knees, and the pose doesn't hurt. If it hurts, stop!

Otherwise, you can enjoy these benefits from the pose (taken from Yoga Journal):
* Stretches hips, thighs, ankles

* Calms the mind, relieves stress

* Relieves neck and back pain when doing the supported version

Almost anyone can do this pose, so I encourage you to try it and feel the calming effects for yourself!

Namaste

No comments: